The Stillorgan Obelisk is believed to have been built in 1727 by Lord Allen as a monument to his wife, Lady Allen. Standing over 100 feet high, it was designed by the eminent architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce who also designed the Bank of Ireland on College Green. It was probably the first obelisk to have been built in Ireland. Sir Edward Lovett Pearce took his inspiration from an obelisk by Bernini, located in Rome. Entrance is at Carysfort Woods, Carysfort Avenue, Stillorgan.